How to find your current location in Google Maps
- The two
Google mapsthe website and the app have a “Current Site“which allows you to find exactly where you are.
- To find your current location you may need to give
Google Maps is great for getting directions to remote towns and obscure shopping malls. But what if you only open it to find that you have no idea where you are at present?
This is not a problem. Each version of Google Maps has a “Current location” button. Tap it and the map will zoom in to your exact location – to within a few hundred yards.
Here’s how to find where you are currently in Google Maps, using a computer or phone.
How to find where you are in Google Maps
First of all, make sure your device is connected to the Internet. Even if you have saved maps offline, you will need internet access so that Google Maps can find your location.
1. Open Google Maps on your computer or smartphone and let the map load.
2. The app should automatically center on your location, but if it doesn’t click or press the Current Location button in the lower right corner. On the website and Android app it will look like a target, while in the iPhone app it will look like an arrow.
3. Your browser or phone may ask you to allow Google Maps to see your location. Let this.
4. The map will move to focus on your location. The dark blue circle is where Google Maps thinks you are currently, and the translucent blue circle around it is where you might be.
The faster your internet connection, the safer Google Maps will be of your location and the smaller this translucent range will be. If Google Maps is having trouble finding you, it probably means you need a better cell signal or a faster internet connection.
Quick advice: In iPhone and Android apps, double-tap the Current location button to activate compass mode. The app will focus on your location, but the map will rotate to match the direction you are currently facing in real life.
How To Calibrate Your Google Maps App To Give More Accurate Directions, On iPhone Or Android How To Track Someone On Google Maps After Sharing Their Location With You How To Check Traffic Around You On Google Maps In 2 Ways, So You Know Which Routes To Avoid How To Share Your Location Between iPhone And Android Phone Using Google Maps