How to Find Local Points of Interest Using Map Apps in iOS 16
AppleInsider is supported by its audience and is eligible to earn an Amazon Associate and Affiliate Partner commission on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
If you’re on a well-deserved vacation, moving house, or just starting out as a digital nomad, you need to know quickly where things stand in a new city. Here’s how to use the mapping apps in iOS 16 to find out what’s near your location.
After a long period of COVID-19 restrictions, people want to make the most of being able to travel again. It could be a temporary vacation in a distant city or a more permanent move to a new home in a different state or country.
These moves always lead to the problem of knowing what is local in your new home. It’s not just the big prime tourist areas, but also more day-to-day services, such as doctors’ offices, libraries, and local shops for food and supplies.
One way to figure out what’s nearby is to check out the various map apps you can use on iOS 16. route, they can also tell you about your local surroundings.
Here are ways to find out what’s near your location after you arrive in a new city or just before you travel to find out the lay of the land.
The default navigation app in Apple’s ecosystem, Apple Maps offers a very comprehensive experience, both in iOS 16 and on its other operating systems. He is also extremely upfront about the local services he can offer you.
How to Find Points of Interest in Apple Maps
- Open Apple Cards.
- Use your current location as it is framed on the screen or navigate to a location you want to search.
- Press the Search maps text zone.
- Below Find nearbyselect the kind of service or the item you want to search for, such as Restaurants.
- If a business type does not appear on Apple’s list, enter the generic term to do this in the text box, then press Look foror one of suggested searches.
- You will be presented with a list of affected businesses and their locations. Swipe up the results box to see more details, such as Trip Advisor review scores and hours of operation.
- Press a SEO for more information, including links to a website, a call option and to receive instructions.
This same search system can be used for exact names if you know it, such as summoning a list of all Starbucks locations in an area.
It can also go beyond the default searches suggested for an area. While you can search for restaurants using the option provided by Apple, you can also manually search for “Chinese restaurants” if you want that specific cuisine.
This research section is also useful because you can search for guides to things to see or do in an area, written by publications with extensive travel knowledge. This is especially useful for tourists who don’t necessarily know all the best places to visit on their trip.
Just as Google produces one of the most used search engines in the world, it also uses one of the most used navigation services. Drawing on its wealth of data, Google Maps offers excellent navigation, as well as ways to find things to see or do nearby.
How to Find Points of Interest in Google Maps
- Open Google Maps.
- Use the current location or search for an area you want more information about.
- If this is a default search type, select the relevant option under the search bar, such as Restaurants or Parking.
- You can also use the search box and enter the general term for what you’re looking for, then touch Look for.
- You’ll see nearby places on the map that meet the criteria, with a drop-down list at the bottom providing more information about the results.
- To further improve the results, select the drop down boxes below the search box and make some selections. Once confirmed, the results will be refined according to the new criteria.
- Press a SEO for more information including directions, website link, call option, cost advice, review notes, photographs and other details.
Although it’s more of a navigation-centric tool than the others, Waze can still help you find essential services near your location or near where you’re searching at. app help.
Waze does all of this in a fairly neat and easy-to-understand way, with minimal extra detail and clutter. It might not be as useful if you want to navigate menus, for example, but if you just want directions, it’s a good no-frills option.
How to Find Points of Interest in Waze
- Open Waze.
- Use your current location or navigate to an area you want more detail on.
- Press the Where to go ? Search bar.
- Press one of the Icons top for basic services, such as a drive-thru, restaurant, gas station, or parking lot. If the option is not visible in the restricted list, press the three points to display a long list of service types, then tap one of them.
- Press the service required in the search results to show directions to the location.
While the three apps discussed above are good general-purpose ways to find things near a specific location, you might want to use something a little more structured if you’re going on vacation.
A quick search of the App Store can bring up several apps to help with itchy feet, giving verified lists of attractions, restaurants, and other things of interest to tourists.
There is also a lot of variety available, ranging from the simple Tripadvisor and Visit A City, to the more specialized.
For example, if you are on a road trip in the United States, you can search for quirky attractions on Roadside America. Avid hikers and cyclists may want to try AllTrails if they want to experience scenic landscapes as part of a hike or a leisurely afternoon stroll.
If you’re visiting a place with a particular interest in mind, it’s worth trying the App Store to try and find specialist apps to scratch that itch. You can get something a little more polished than mainstream apps, and maybe even better travel advice than mass-generated restaurant reviews.