Free Virtual Geography Awareness Celebration with Hawaii Schools, November 16: Maui Now
November 13, 2022, 7:56 a.m. HST
Hawaiʻi – All Islands – Learning Endeavors will host a virtual GIS Day event on November 16, 2022 to celebrate Geography Awareness Week for schools in the state. The event features GIS professionals presenting live to students and educators their work that uses GIS – Geographic Information Systems, also known as digital mapping software.
Learning Endeavors offers this free annual event to students in grades 5-12. Public, private and charter school teachers from all disciplines – STEM, science, history, geography, health, economics or math – are encouraged to participate. Teachers can register their students to participate on the Learning Endeavors website: Learningendeavors.org/gis. Presentations will run from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on GIS Day, November 16. There will be prizes to be won after each presenter and geography quizzes. Teachers tune into the virtual event with a computer connected to their projector, screen and speakers and celebrate as a group connected to multiple classrooms across the islands.
Learning Endeavors Executive Director Diana Papini Warren said, “GIS allows us to visualize critical data and make better decisions in our communities and in our world. We want to inspire students to consider GIS as a future STEM career. We are delighted to have a theme on conservation and climate science this year.
The schedule of GIS presentations is as follows:
- 9-9:25: “Mapping Maui’s Wetlands” By Robin Knox, Water Quality Consulting Inc.
- 9:30-9:55: “Modelling Sea Level Rise in Hawaii” by Diana Warren, Learning Endeavors
- 10-10:25: “GIS Science in Seabird Conservation” By Jenni Learned, Maui Nui Seabird Recovery
- 10:30-10:55: “Shifting Islands and Imagery Analysis in ArcGIS Living Atlas” by Katie Ornelas, Learning Endeavors.
- 11-11:25: “Understanding Groundwater and Salmon” By Karlee Liddy, UC Santa Cruz Graduate School.
- 11:30-11:55: “How We’re Using GIS to Save Hawaii’s Forest Birds” By Hilary Foster, Maui Forest Birds.
Teachers who want to add the Learning Endeavors GIS Day event to their Geography Awareness Week celebration can register on the Learning Endeavors Events page at learningendeavors.org/gis. For more information call 808-793-3322 or email [email protected]
Learning Endeavors is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization committed to developing and delivering innovative educational programs in Hawai’i and beyond. He is based in Kīhei on the island of Maui. GIS is one of the many advanced technological tools incorporated into its programs.